Door Modifications

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Door Modifications
From: GodlyKrew@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 02:43:39 EDT
I do not have complete details yet, but there may be an alternative source for
air door parts!  Imagine remote air doors for $350!!  I'm slowly peicing
together contact info and pricing, as well as part numbers, so stay tuned...

My reason for writing is this: Why not reduce stress on those doors when
they're open?  They're expensive to replace, and quite rare.  Here are my
plans for 1758:

1: make a metal piece shaped like a "T".  this will act as a brace to
distribute stress out from the new location of the door mounting bracket.
Imagine sitting in the drivers seat with the door closed.  Run your finger
down the door from top to bottom between the window and the rear part of the
birdcage behind the drivers seat.  Next, run your finger from the lower corner
of the window you just touched across the part of the door that sits directly
beneath the window.  You just made the "T" bracket with your mind as it will
go on the door.

2:  The point where the two lines of the "T" bracket will go is the new
location for the mounting bracket for the air cylinder.  Once you get the new
cylinder from SMC, custom made to your specs, you're all set!

3: Cover up the "T" brace with a new type of door panel.  The panel is hard to
describe without actually making a "mock up" of it, so I'll save details for
later.

Down sides to the mods.

you cannot enter the car from the rear part of the door anymore.
The new cylinder mounting point on the door may not work, as the cylinder
itself might be obstructed by driver comfort, the seats, or both.  I will do a
precise visual inspection in the morning and give you a update.

Any comments from door experts, physics experts, pneumatics experts, and
bricklin experts are welcomed and encouraged.  Let me know any additional pros
cons or comments.

Riley Marquis III
VIN 1758