RE: Bricklin starting problem

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bricklin starting problem
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:35:39 -0400
Gordy,
   I had the same exact experience with #1080.
   The car ran fine for a while.  Then the ignition swicth seemed to stop
working so I would jump the starter solenoid to get the car to start.  That
worked fine for a while until I had the same problem that you described.
(although I was too afraid to pull the coil wire off and I just ended up
disconnecting the battery (that was smoking by the time that I was done))
   I have since replaced the starter, the ignition switch with new parts.  I
have also replaced the starter solenoid with one that I had laying around (that
looked identical to the original).  Now when I try to start the car (from the
key) I get nothing (except smoke from various electical components).  It seems
like there is a short somewhere.
   I have not been able to figure out the problem yet either and the car sits
just as i describe it now.
   I was not aware of another ignition component above the starter soleniod. I
am curious as to what it is also.  I believe that I have the same part that you
describe but for some reason I did not think that it had anything to do with the
ignition circuits.
   I may try to find some time this weekend to try to do some eletrical
diagnosis on the car.  (that should be loads of fun)
   I hope that someone out there can help us.

                                                Jamie