Butterflies in Exhaust

To: "'Bricklin'" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Butterflies in Exhaust
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:16:15 -0400
   Can anyone tell me why there are butterflies in the exhaust at the end of the
manifold.  There are weights on the pivot point that hold the butterfly closed
and there seem to be some sort of spring to help it open or close...but of
course the springs are broken/deteriorated and useless...which makes the weight
hold the butterfly closed.
   Does everyone have these or were they on just a select few?  (#23 to be
specific)
   Has anyone removed these?
   Do they actually serve any purpose other than to restrict air flow and hurt
performance?
   Also.. anyone found the gasket that goes on this exhaust joint?  My local pep
boys did not seem to be able to get me one.  They suggested buying gasket
material and cutting one out myself.  I did this but I think that it is going to
get burnt up due to the tremendous heat there.
   Any suggestions?
   Third..I just bought an electric fuel pump for the car.  Anyone found a plate
to cover the old mechanical fuel pump hole on the engine block or is that
something that just has to be improvised?  (Summit or Jegs sells the covers for
Chevys and Fords)  Wiring - should the pump be wired to an oill pressure switch
or is it OK to wire the pump so that it comes on with the ignition switch before
the motor actually starts.
   Thanks

                                                Jamie