FYI: I finally heard from the Scottsdale Police Dept.

To: "Bricklin List (E-mail)" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: FYI: I finally heard from the Scottsdale Police Dept.
From: Ron Auger <ron.auger@olsy-na.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:09:56 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From:   Christian, Mark [SMTP:mchristian@ci.scottsdale.az.us]
Sent:   Friday, May 01, 1998 2:46 PM
To:     'Ronald Auger - LACB System Architect'
Subject:        RE: The Bricklin automobile

Mr. Auger:

Thanks for pointing out the mis-spelling on the Scottsdale Police web
site.  I should know better as I had driven the Bricklins when we had
them (and there aren't many of us left that remember the PD even having
Bricklin's).

We had three Bricklin's which we leased from Malcolm Bricklin for one
dollar per car per year.  Towards the end of our lease, we had to use
parts from two of the cars to keep the third one running.

I've looked for and not been able to find the VIN's for our three cars.
If I ever do locate them I will forward them to you.

The Police Department has several photo's of the Bricklin's.  The one on
our web page is not the clearest.  If you want I can send you some other
photo's we have or scan them in and send them to you e-mail.

The cars were fun to drive.  One night during a vehicle pursuit one of
our officers had the Bricklin up to 135 MPH.  I never heard of anyone
taking one faster.  That officer said the car's front end got light at
that speed.

The biggest problem we had was with the doors.  When you started to make
a traffic stop, you hit the button to open the door hoping the door
would be open when the other car stopped.  Unfortunately, many times the
door opening mechanisms did not work and usually we would pop open the
hatch and climb out the rear.  The cars were popular as they had AM/FM
stereo's and at that time our marked police cars didn't even have AM
radios.

If I can do anything else for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sgt. Mark Christian