Re: Ballast Resistor

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Ballast Resistor
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 11:52:01 -0400

>on this in the last day.  There IS a ballast resistor. For a 74 it
is a
>resistive wire that is run in the wiring harness from the 4A fuse
in the
>fuse block to the coil.  If you measure the resistance from the +
side of
>the coil to the 4A fuse, it should be 1.35 ohms.
============
Ditto for my '75.
============
  If that wire is broken,
>then that WOULD explain why the car would start and run ONLY when
the ign.
>switch was in the "start" position.
>
>When the ign. switch is in the "start" position, the ballast
resistor
>is cut out of the system.  Thus allowing for a hotter spark. (For
more
>info. on this see my article on electrical - ignition on the web
page.)

>I would think that if this wire is broken, you could mount an
external
>ballast resistor on the fenderwell and run a "normal" wire from the
>fuse block to one side of the resistor, and then from the other
side
>of the resistor to the coil.
===========
This is the hot ticket since the OEM wire normally increases
resistance over time and affects performance.
===========

>Change of subject.  74's have an interesting item.  They will NOT
start
>unless the seat belts are buckled.  (This is what that large
whiteish
>plastic box is on the pass. side floor board.)  This was NOT the
case
>in the 75s.  The 74's also have a relay on the top, rear of the
pass.
>front fender well.  There is a "red" rod or button sticking out.
If
>the car will NOT start, you can depress the button inside this rod
with
>the ignition on and the car should start.
>
>I've spent about 5 hours trying to get the 74 I've been working on
>start.  I had it running great for the last month.  All of a
sudden,
>a couple of days ago it would not start.  I was not getting and
power
>to the start side of the starter solenoid.  I replaced the ignition
>switch to no avail.  Today, I managed to figure out how to by-pass
>the seat belt control module.  The only problem is that I've also
>by-passed the park/neutral safety switch.  So not the car will
start
>in any position on the transmission.
>
>Anybody played with the wiring for the park/neutral safety switch?
>There are 3 wires going to it.  The switch is supposed to signal
>both when in park/neutral and when in reverse - it activates the
back
>up lights.  There is a connector on the firewall right next to the
one
>for the wiper motor.  This is the breakout for the wiring to the
>park/neutral safety switch.  The center wire goes hot when the ign.
>switch is turned to "run" and "start".  What I haven't figured out
>is where the wire goes when it goes back into the main harness.  I
>have to find a way of getting that tied into the by-passing of the
>seatbelt safety lockout so the car will NOT start except in park/
>neutral.
I know this was standard on Ford's around '74, and I assume other
makes. Have you looked at a wiring diagram from that era for a
possible clue?

GM