Re: Have you ever replaced headlight actuator?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, wingracer@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Have you ever replaced headlight actuator?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:43:51 PST
Greg, I think that the diaphram you are describing is the front seal
because the tearing away from the rod's retaining washers sounds like
the seal (unless I am missing something).  Also, since the doors come
down properly I don't think that it can be the diaphram.  Perhaps I have
a misunderstanding about how these are made (I haven't taken one apart),
but I think that it is a metal can with inlets at either end. In the
center of the can there is a diaphram connected to a rod that goes out
of the "front" of the can and hooks to the headlight mechanixm.  At the
backside of the can there is nothing but the inlet so when vacuum is
present, the diaphram and, hence the rod moves back. When vacuum is
present in the front of the can, the reverse happens unless, of course,
there is a leak in the seal around the rod because then there would be
no vacuum.  Is that your understanding?  Did you get a chance to look at
the directions on the website I listed.  They have pictures of the seal
and I was wondering if that is what you meant.  Kim