Re: Using a small business to help with autoxing/racing events?

To: <E911me@aol.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Using a small business to help with autoxing/racing events?
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:25:10 -0800
here is the rub:  you can do that, but unless you file as a business, you
cant deduct losses greater than income.  to be a business you have to do a
few things, but the "intent to make a profit" is the key one.  most tax
courts wont look at what you are proposing as a business, but as a hobby
expense, and thus limit your deductions to the amount of income.  you also
need to be able to justify your expenses... if you distribute waxing
products, although i think it would be ok to deduct autox expenses as
'advertising expenses', it wont look good if 100% of your tiny $1,000 gross
income goes to an activity that i usually considered a hobby.  10-30% would
be a more normal advertising budget and that you can argue.  also remember,
intent is important, because intent to cheat is fraud and a criminal offense
(read jail) while if you can argue reasonably then it civil (read $$).

i am not a lawyer so thats just my 2 cents.  ive filed at least one schedule
C (small business) for the last 15 years.

-james