Re: Duel at De Anza?

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Duel at De Anza?
From: Carl Valderama <carlv@ae92gts.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 01:36:23 -0700
Hey, Jake.

I'm not sure if you know me, but we used to run in the same Novice 3 class.
I'm the bald dude in the red, FWD Corolla GT-S. =)

Here's the deal w/ the Duel at De Anza. They limit the number of
competitors to something like 250 drivers (someone please correct me if I'm
wrong). Here's the scary part: people start lining up as early as 2am. Last
year, I arrived around 5:30am and was surprised to find around 75 people
already lined up. They're fairly strict about capping the number of
drivers, so even if you're number 251, you're outta there. Registration is
$20, I think.

Tech's a lot more involved than our Solo 2 events:

- remove 1 lug nut to check for wheel stud condition and cracks/fatigue on
wheels
- no play in steering
- car's interior is totally empty
- brakes are good
- throttle return good
- no "major" fluid leaks

After all of that, you're asked to get in the car, "briskly" accelerate and
brake hard to the next Tech station. Only then are you allowed to park or
grid your car.

The actual course is kinda run like the Sac Enduro events; your first lap
is considered practice, then you get a flying start and complete 2 full
laps. If memory serves, two laps were around 45-60 seconds long, depending
on what the car was.

It's a really long day, but fun. Did I mention that the crowd will actually
clap for decent times?

At 07:18 PM 5/13/02 , you wrote:
>I see it's on the calendar for this weekend.  Does anyone have any
>information on the event?  I searched on the web, but I couldn't find their
>site.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jake

Carl Valderama