Cell phone discussion.

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>,
Subject: Cell phone discussion.
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:41:17 -0800
There is not really much research on the area, and most
people tend to believe the papers that reinforce their
prejudices anyway.  There are strong prejudices toward
using the phone among the more powerful in society.

You're not saying that distraction makes some drivers safer?
You're not saying that some drivers are pretty unsafe, so it's
OK for me to be a whole lot less safe, cause I'll still be safer
than them?  Give me a break!

It's a crap shoot with distractions like this.  You drive for period
A tuning the radio, no problem.  During period B you will kill
somebody.  Suffering any distraction while driving increases
your risk of killing my kids.  Not a matter of whether one is more
distracting than another, it's less safe to allow yourself to be
distracted.  It's bad driving.  Pull over if you need to talk on the
phone.

Just take a simple count of the percentage of numbskulls you
encounter on the road -- what percent are talking on phones.
I'd say about 40-50% of drivers I have to look at because of
stupidity are on a phone.  Of course, if I'm on the phone., I won't
notice the stupidity of others, or much else...

Getting distracted while driving is bad driving practice.  Dangerous.
If you run into me while you're on the phone, you can be sure that
I'm coming after you with my lawyers.  (not "Mike" but "anyone")

If tuning the radio distracts you, don't do that while driving either.

My last reply on the subject.

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!