Re: Accident Reports

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accident Reports
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
The problems with the gag approach to incidents ought
to be discussed I think. We are all in the same risk
pool with the same insurance carriers no matter who
has brokered the actual policy. If anyone really blows
the game apart, it will stop for all of us. So it is
everyone's business, not just some maybe a lawyer will
come along thing.
The details are less important than the lessons. We
all must keep from repeating bad things, and this is
done by an open discussion. Gag orders will make
everything seem just fine, which is exactly the wrong
thing to do!
A few years ago a good friend [and the fellow who
interfaced the Oakland Colliseum site for an autocross
link] was killed in a roadrace accident at Sears
Point. The SFR gagged the deal and no information was
ever released. The guy who ran into him still runs
with the club and seems as careless and callous as
ever. No discussion is tolerated even today on the
subject.

What do Jesus and I need to know to prevent these
worker collisions? Are we doing something better
already or are we just lucky? What happens long term
after these things? What ever happened to the last guy
that was hit? Where was that "report"? Why are these
things secrets? I am not seeking some sort of cheap
thrill here, we all need to be concerned that these
things do not happen if possible! Surely you all would
expect, and get, the same information from me.

=====
Dennis Hale
http://personals.yahoo.com