RE: braking...

To: "'Clifford Richardson'" <the_brain7@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: braking...
From: "Giles Douglas" <giles@vy.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:07:11 -0700
On RWD you can use the throttle to rotate the car more. On FWD the throttle
just causes understeer.

If you break entering a turn, you're really trail braking. This enables you
to rotate the rear of the car somewhat (useful on a FWD or AWD platform) and
get around the corner quickest.

Most of the textbooks will recommend you do most of your braking in a
straight line then gradually lift off the brakes entering the corner
(effectively trail braking), and then being to accelerate when the car is
pointing in the right direction and unwind slowly.

The older opinion used to be that braking had to be done in a straight line.
Of course, it was eventually figured out that this school of thought was
wrong, and you can shave much more time by braking into the corner somewhat.
However, it should be noted that there is more time to be made by getting
the entry/apex/exit acceleration whilst unwinding right than there is by
being perfect on the brakes (time spent slowing versus time spent
accelerating).

It sounds like your second approach was better. Given time, you can perfect
the braking so that some of your slowing is done whilst the car is turning
somewhat (of course, bear in mind that if you're using 100% of your traction
to brake, you can't turn, so you have to lift a bit off the brakes. Traction
circles and all that jazz]

Of course, this is much easier on a wide open track on an autox course, so
I'm sure someone else can give way better advice ;-)

        Giles