RE: Shifting Question

To: "Debbie Cunningham" <bartsmom@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Shifting Question
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:25:57 -0700
In my experience, driving a '95 RX-7 with lots of top end power and not much
low end torque, is that these cars will greatly exaggerate the time lost due
to late braking. I think they're good "learner" cars because they exaggerate
one's mistakes, making them easier to see (if not easier to correct).
They're hard to drive, but learning to drive them will make you a better
driver -- and they go really fast when you get it right.

For me, the solution for the dreaded turbo lag was to brake earlier, set up
the turn, and get on the gas earlier in the turn. Putting your right foot
down early gives the turbo extra time to spool up. It really made a
difference for me. I found that if I got a good line in this way, I could
avoid using 1st gear.