Re: Slow Courses On Big Sites Is Not Fun!

To: adam popp <raft321@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Slow Courses On Big Sites Is Not Fun!
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:31:18 -0500
Adam

The "recommended" top speed for SCCA Solo II events has not been 70mph
for the fastest car on the fastest part of the course for several years.
  It was changed when the new breed of AM cars came into the mix.  The
"recommended" top speed is now the low-to-mid 60s for the fastest Stock
and Street Prepared cars on the fastest part of the course and has been
that way for quite some time.

I put "recommended" in quotes because we can't set an absolute maximum
speed.  This point has been driven home to me over and over again by
Pete Lyon.  If we were to set an absolute max, and then have an incident
where the driver's OBD showed that he/she was going over our max at the
time of the incident, then we'd be opening ourselves up to some big time
lawsuits.

We should be doing anything and everything we can to restrict the
fastest Stock and Street Prepared cars to the low-to-mid 60s.

Where we run into a major problem here, IMNSHO, is when we run an event
on a large site where people are able to SUSTAIN speeds in the
low-to-mid 60s.  If they're used to running on smaller sites with lower
sustained speeds, all of a sudden they think they're flying above and
beyond our "recommended" max speeds!

A good point of reference here is knowing where the fastest Stock and
Street Prepared cars red-line in second gear.  If a given car red-lines
at 60mph in second - and has to briefly bump third - that's PROBABLY OK.
  However, if that same car goes into third and stays there for awhile,
then the course is probably too doggoned fast for Solo II.  There are
other venues available for those kinds of speeds.  Solo Trials, for
instance, will let you hit 95!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman