Re: First computers, was: team.net history

To: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>,
Subject: Re: First computers, was: team.net history
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:01:12 -0600
Do I get to count the year I worked for the US Gubmit Communications Service
as a transceiver operator? Transceiver was a big machine that sent and
received IBM punchcards. That was 1962.

My first home 'puter, around 1982 was an IBM PC Jr., that I later boosted
with an external hard drive and a "hotshot" to make it run a bit faster.

To copy a column of 100 names in a spreadsheet program -- first name in col
1 and last name in col. 2 -- took about half an hour. The only things I
could do was word processing, spreadsheet and e-mail. No internet access. No
games.

Later my father-in-law gave me his first Gateway. Now the 100 names would
copy bip-bip-bip-bip in maybe 30 seconds. I thought I'd upgraded to
incredible speed. Was still using the IBM programs on it, but they worked
faster.

Next  Gateway would copy that name list in one "bip". Thought that was fast
then. Discovered Word and Excel and gained internet access.

Current one has 6 gigabytes of memory. Thought it was all the room in the
world in 1998 (and I still only use about a third of it). We just bought our
next one -- should be on the truck enroute as we speak -- is 120 gigs, and
with a plasma screen.

the PC Jr. with a word processing program loaded and the spreadsheet program
extra, ran damn near $3k, and that did not include the hard drive and
hotshot. And that was at a closeout price because IBM was phasing out the PC
Jr. The one on the way, well put it this way -- for that $3k my wife and I
each get one with a bunch of programs loaded (Works,  Word, Excel, IE, OE,
and several others including some games) and they include an inkjet
printer/scanner and throw in a couple of digital cameras to boot.

Do NOT really look forward to transferring everything over, but the new toy
will be much better than the old. The kids (age 8 & 11) will get the old
ones, mostly for computer games and homework (but NOT internet access -- too
much bad crap there).

--Rocky Entriken