Re: [evolution-disc.] regulating boost limits in SP, let's

To: <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] regulating boost limits in SP, let's
From: "Cheryl and Jim Fossum" <fossum@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:26:36 -0500
Sam,
14.10.C say (in part) "No changes are allowed to waste gates, pressure
sensors or their location, and to other turbocharger or supercharger boost
limiting system."  and also "...any modifications which alter or defeat the
fuel cutoff when it is activated by boost level, are not permitted."  I
can't find the reference, but I believe there is also a statement to the
effect that unauthorized parts may not be used even if set to the stardard
settings.

Both of the above apply to the computer.  If the computer controls boost in
any way, you're stuck with the stock computer.  If the the computer contols
fuel cut, you're stuck with the stock computer.  In my mind this puts turbo
cars at a disadvantage in SP, as it greatly limits the tuning flexibility.
I do agree that policing of boost levels is very difficult.  It's very
difficult to tell tell if somebody subtly altered the programing of the
stock computer (or the resistance of the right wire, or discharge coeficient
of the right orifice, or ...).

I'm curious how this is handled currently.  I've heard of cars being
protested for "excessive boost" in stock class, but in my mind this is like
protesting for too low a ride hight or being under weight.  Since legal
changes (e.g, exhaust) can affect boost levels, wouldn't you have to prove
that an ilegal modification was used to increase boost, not just that it
didn't meet a published figure (if one exists)?

If you did allow boost controllers, how would you monitor the boost setting?
Wouldn't you have the same problems you described below?  It seems to me if
you allow boost controller, you need to allow whatever the turbo will make
and class accordingly.

Jim