Re: Valvoline.com Gives SCCA a Bad Rap?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valvoline.com Gives SCCA a Bad Rap?
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:12:32 -0500
On Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 05:29:37 -0600, Chuck Schultz said:

>Are the comments on this web page fair concerning SCCA?

>http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=dsm20031001sr&coaid=23891E79A33

>I may be old, but I ain't rich. . .

Well, compared to your average "2Fast2Furious" street racer, we must be more
affluent, because we:

- spend our money on actual performance parts, not parts that look fast but
make the car slower (heavy 18-20" wheels on low-powered econobox, oversized
exhaust systems, fake intercoolers, underhood speakers playing "blow off valve"
noises, yellow spark plug wires "because yellow *is* the color of speed",
gi-normous wings, "Type R" badges for the Civic DX, or, even better, a
non-Honda product, vinyl graphics of Japanese lettering that translates as "I'm
too stupid to know I'm lame", and, of course, decals for performance products
they read about in "Sport Compact Car", but haven't actually purchased and
installed).

- Know that "NOS" is pronounced "EN-OH-ESS" and not "NAWS".

- Know the correct way to mount a fire extinguisher is not in a flimsy mount
attached to the A-pillar.

- Buy performance springs rather than just hitting our stockers with a cutoff
wheel and a torch.

- Know that glossy, shiny interior trim is a distraction, and Real Race Cars
have matte-finish instrument panels for a reason.

- Know that a thumpin' stereo system (complete with Playstation2, DVD, and
multiple video screens) just adds weight, and beside the obvious useless
distraction from driving, video systems aren't legal to use in view of the
driver anyway.

- Actually pay to enter sanctioned competition events.

- Agree to abide by a published set of rules (and we all know it costs more
money to be legal, he said, sarcasm dripping from every word).

- Have enough of a sense of self-preservation to pay attention to safety rules
regarding course design, driver safety, etc., and at Club Races, trained
emergency services personnel on hand (both F&C and Fire & Rescue).

- Know that the street has too many uncontrolled variables to be a safe venue
for motorsports, and I don't need to elaborate about the potential for
innocents to get severely damaged in the process.

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add to the list.

But if this means that I, as an SCCA member, am older and more affluent, so be
it.

(Spotted recently here in the Detroit area:  Civic DX with cut springs and
original steel wheels and wheel covers.  Owner is overheard explaining the
stock wheels to a pal, saying "I cut the springs two weeks ago, but when I got
my set of 20s yesterday, they wouldn't fit 'cause the car's too low.  The
#$)#*@ tire store wouldn't refund my money 'cause the wheels and tires were
special-order.  Now I got $6000 tied up in wheels I can't use."  "Did you test
fit one?" "Yeah, before I cut the springs."  The cause/effect relationship
apparently didn't occur to him.")

Jim Crider
autojim@despammed.com

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient. Thank you. Metaldyne
LLC