Re: Reorg, was: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Reorg, was: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:53:49 -0500
Matt Murray wrote:

> But to the meat of the matter. New car depreciation can be
> thousands. Just to flip a car is beyond the means of a lot of
> stock class competitors. Not to mention the cost of operation as
> a regular daily transport as many of us do. Regular service,
> clutches, shocks, anti-roll bars, etc. do cost many dollars, I
> would dare say equal to what an SP/ST/SM competitor might spend.

I don't agree.  If you are talking about stock class cars at the high end
classes (SS, AS and BS) then OK.  But then figure the SP development costs
and throw it on top of buying a car for ASP or BSP car and your right back
to the same expense ratios.  As for the depreciation of your stock class
car, that is no different than buying or leasing a new or late model car
every year or two.  And don't forget that most of these cars double as the
competitors primary transportation.  I have a late model daily driver that
depreciates just like any other car along with my tow vehicle that is used
to trailer my racecar.

You can always sell a stock class car as a just a car (if not a competitive
and already setup stock class autocrosser) and recoupe most of your
investment.   Remember, that the costs of buying the car is a much smaller
component of the cost to field a competitive SP car.

And if you think you can compare stock class depreciation and add-ons to the
costs of buying and building a competitive SP car you obviously have no real
idea of the costs to prepare and develope a Nationally competitive SP car.

> Your issues with the reclassing of your car(s) many years ago
> still lingers on. You do need to move past this, regardless of
> this thread.

Uhh, Matt...  I have.  I only referenced it here as an example and to
demostrate I know of what I speak.   I have had a successfull career in Solo
and am thankful of the rewards it has brought me.  To think that I very
nearly gave up the sport because I was run over by the re-org of '90 is a
shame.   I was very discouraged by the change and at one point decided to
quit.   I would hope that those that think a re-org is a good thing would
consider this kind of effect as well.

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP