Mazda Rev It Up Sunday

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Mazda Rev It Up Sunday
From: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:29:22 -0400
We'll I left Petersburg and headed for my 2:20 start time at Charlotte... Not
too much race traffic and actually got there early.

Everything was looking good (Dry) until about 45 minutes before my run and the
sky opened up and it started raining.  I saved both practice runs and went and
ran them in the wet, figuring that was my conditions... first run, I nearly
missed part of the course (it was just akward for us regular Solo2'ers)... 2nd
run I posted fasted time in the wet... *boomb* I can do this, after all Erik
only had 719 points and I had more then that in Atlanta, right?

Well we get to my runs and the rain has stopped and the Pro sets a time of
31.4, it starts raining again and he runs before our heat and sets it at
31.8... Now the conditions were quite a bit worse, and for him to only lose .4
in those conditions... whew....

So I start my first run, get through the first slalom make the right hander
and there is a red flag...!  Great a ever so precious re-run!   My 2nd run,
I'm pushing things a little, catch an early cone (which I didn't know) and
really get out of shape after the last slalom setting up the finish... don't
recall the time...

I get out of the car, and walk through and get right back into a car again...
I was the last competitor for the weekend... no pressue...  I put together a
run which I thought was pretty good only to realize I was 1.2 seconds back!
*UGH*, but end up 6th....

That lot/course was one where the number of runs the Pro got was a great
benefit.  Especially in the rain.  This was a freshly sealed lot, and by the
time I ran was coming up in a few places... There was one 'bustop' type
chicane, which I could not comfortably throw the car into, like the pro,
because of the lack of grip.. After 80 runs on the course, both wet and dry
the Pro had it down...

Oh well......

Congrats to Erik, thought I had you there at the end... As soon as it was over
I tried to call Jean so I could get your number and give you the news.... I'm
going to give this thing one more try, after all the thrid times the charm,
right Erik? :)

Rick -tired of the rain- Cone, ruined my Petersburg and Charlotte events on
the same day...!!!!