Late to grid

Subject: Late to grid
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:59:40 -0400
The late to grid rule is inherently unenforceable.

How in the world can I arrive 30 minutes before something that has no set
time? Only heat 1 drivers can know when their heat starts so only heat one
drivers can grid 30 minutes before their heat begins.

Example:
Suppose I am in heat 5. I  cannot grid before the event starts because other
cars will need to use the grid spot before me. The grid spot is used by heat
3. After heat 3 is done they may be in grid as long as 30 minutes afterwards
for impound. So when do I grid? 30 minutes after heat 3 is over seems to be
the best answer. But what happens if heat 4 takes under 1 hour to run or the
previous driver in my grid space take a long time to clear it or impound for
heat 3 takes longer than 30 minutes?

The concept of the 30 minutes deadline is a good one as it allows grid
workers to check cars before they run and avoids potential delays in the
start of each heat. I also applaud the fact that violaters only received
warnings. But the rule is flawed and needs to be rewritten.

Regards,
Alan