Re: Byron's shock comments

To: TeamZ06@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Byron's shock comments
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:46:09 -0600
With all due respect, I think that counts for something!  Think about
it...perception is reality when it comes to this stuff.  Like I said in
another post, we are not all shock experts but those of us who want to win
will eliminate any perceived excuse for not winning we can.  (Regarding lack
of the best equipment.)  Isn't this what drives costs up?

If it is perceived that the $4,000, 18 way, super adjustable Foxske's are
the hot ticket, many people will feel they have to upgrade to keep up.  It
*doesn't matter* if they actually help, perception is reality at this point.
 Of course in many, many cases, it *does* help and we all know it.  From the
perspective of people looing in on our sport, the conclusion is "Jeez (tm),
I gotta chuck 4,000 into my car just to be competitive?  In Stock!?! No
thanks."  I think the question is, "Is this what we want newer people we
want to come into the sport to think?"  Big picture says no, IMHO.  Anyway,
that's my take on it.

> FWIW, I don't really disagree with Byron's assessment to go back to OE with a
> sunshine period for existing shocks (it could have been shorter and to the
> point :-).  Ultimately that is the only real answer, though I'm not convinced
> it will really solve anything except peoples perceptions about thinking they
> are at an equipment disadvantage.
>

> Mark

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets