Re: My Pot Stirring

Subject: Re: My Pot Stirring
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Patrick Washburn wrote:
> serve.  Street Tires?  Regional class only....there is no place Nationally
> for a "Street Tire" class.  I feel that it will quickly become a mockery of
> itself, and we will again wish we hadn't gone there.  (Yes, I firmly
> believe DG and Roger on this issue.)

I agree that street tire classes are (already) just another way of needing
a particular tire.  As long as folks recognize that and are happy however,
so be it.

Is it really true that at a national level the common thread in STS is the
tires?  I would have thought it was that you can build a fun "bolt-on" car
without needing a $4k or whatever injection system.  Seems like most
national competitors have an extra set of wheels/tires for racing anyway.
Even regionally I would think that'd be high on the "good qualities about
STS" list, though being able to drive to events on your competition tires
would be up there as well.

I think street tire classes make sense locally.  In fact, I think regions
should either have a paxed street tire class and normal stock classes or
street tire stock classes and a paxed R-tire class.  This past year I've
been in the situation of someone that doesn't have space to store tires,
etc.  Street tire classes have been a godsend.

However, make no mistake, in a week or so I'm gonna be swapping to new
street tires precisely because I think they'll work better for autox.  :-)

Mark