Re: Sites Dwindling

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sites Dwindling
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:33:24 -0700
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> Well, until you live in the SF Bay area, you can't really understand what we
> face here...  We lost a site years ago due to our noise, from one complaint
> from a "neighbor" about 1/2 to a mile away.  The fact that we actually made
> less noise than the freeway that ran between us and the complainer made no
> difference.  We lost the site.  We've since gotten the site back (it took 10
> years), but can't use our PA system.

You are not alone.  Heck, a number of years ago at a local mall, we actually had
a little old lady call the cops on us and take a broom out trying to shoo us
away!

We face exactly the same thing here.  It is a strange case of rule by the
minority IMHO;  sometimes known as "anywhere but my back yard" syndrome.

It is too bad that we are so easily identifiable as producers of "noise"
pollution.  Maybe quieter tires (less squealing) and higher noise limitations
could help but that would not necessarily deal with the image problem.

> I doubt there's any space in the Bay Area to build such a site, and if there
> was, the land would be over $1 million in the size we need, and there would
> be houses butted up against it.
>
> Laguna Seca was there before the houses were built nearby, but the residents
> make it very tough on Laguna Seca.  Reid-Hillview airport was there long
> before the surrounding houses, but the residents have been trying to get it
> closed for years.

Like I said, we have the same thing here.  As an example, we have the Calgary
International Airport here (been there for a very long time) and the city has
basically just about grown around it.  People buy houses/condos in the flight
path because they are cheaper (wonder why! ? ! ::^)  )  and then they
immediately start complaining about the noise or even the perception thereof.
Only the moving of the 3rd busiest airport in Canada will do for these people!

Sounds incredibly stupid, doesn't it?  Political correctness and pacifying these
idiots means there is a price to pay for the rest of us - I don't agree with it.

Later,

Reijo

Reijo Silvennoinen, P.Eng.
President, CSCC, CSCC Nat'l Event Rep., Calgary, Alberta
Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC) web site:  http://bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/
(www.cscc.ab.ca)
Canadian National Autoslalom Championship (CNAC) list: