Re: SM2 Stuff /trailered cars

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SM2 Stuff /trailered cars
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:05:13 -0500
>>>)  Stiffness?  This
would be more difficult to police, but we could limit spring rates.

Difficult?  Try impossible - how would you get the springs out of the car to
test?

>>We could
put a limit on the amount of negative camber allowed, something like 2
degrees.

Once again, who is going to set up the alignment rack at every
divisional/tour event?  And what about calibrated gauges?  Would they be
like the scales at various events with a 50# difference?

> Writing rules that accomplish the desired goal, are easy to understand,
and
> can't be blatantly exploited is unquestionably difficult, but certainly
not
> impossible.

Not trying to nit pick in any way, but writing rules is a whole lot easier
than enforcing them.  Another thought - If the ":intent" of the class is to
give the current crop of hot rodders a place to play on street tires, then
isn't it a little limiting to require them to have some obscure spring rate
that somebody decided was OK?

All IMO, YMMV, etc.

Dave W