Re: STS Tire Rules

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:44:12 -0500
Mark Andy writes:

>My point is that a DOT stamp is just as unenforcable as a
treadwear
> stamp.

I think you're mistaken there. I believe that a DOT number molded
into a tire certifies that certain safety-related requirements
have been met. Some aftermarket replacement components, like
certain braided brake flex hoses, are not DOT approved and are
sold for "off-road use" only.

>What's to prevent Kumho from changing their R tire compound to a
much
>softer compound just before nationals, for instance?  :-)

Not much. Maybe that's one of the reasons so many folks get their
new tires at Nationals.  ;<)

> What's to
>prevent Hoosier from taking a slick, putting two grooves around
it, and
>slapping a DOT stamp on it?

Uhh, I think that's sorta what they do now.  They work real good,
too. ;<)

>If you start with the assumption that the tire companies are
going to
>cheat, _any_ limiting rule on tires that you can't enforce with
a ruler
>will get beaten.

Ergo, you make the rules as unrestrictive as possible. Sorta like
Stock and SP are now.

>The fact that ST
>draws the line in a different manner than stock does NOT mean
that its any
>more or less enforcable.

Beg to disagree. The more you try to restrict tires, the more
advantage a tire maker can gain by fudging on the restrictions.

Jay