Re: STS Tire Rules

To: "Daniel Bettis" <140mhz24@isoc.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:32:25 -0500
I feel a protracted street tire discussion coming on, so I shouldn't do
this...

I think it is very important to make sure that while discussing this issue,
we clearly deliniate "Local" from "National" competition.  It makes a huge
difference in your comment's context.  Please do this for the clarity of
the discussion.

I am a fervent "local clubs should run whetever class they deem fit"
supporter.  Street tire classes are perfect examples of excellent local
classes, just like Buggy's in Madison, WI.

I am also a "not every local class *needs* to have a mirror National class"
believer.  I honestly feel that uncontrolled proliferation of National
classes does dilute the finite available market.  Not trying to start that
*other* discussion...I'm just framing what I think personally.

I don't know yet about STS...I honestly have not made up my mind.  The
point that must be conceded however is that there remains no reliable way
to measure, and thus control, a tires compliance to whatever you define as
a "street tire".  This will most likely quickly spiral into a psuedo-sticky
tire class if left unchecked.  How much time will go by before there is so
little difference between "Street" tires and regular Stock eligible tires
that they cannot demonstrate any appreciable difference?  Conclusion:
Until a reliable system of controlling the single largest thing that makes
this class unique is developed, I guess I cannot support it Nationally.  Do
not interpret thay as meaning I don't want it or that I have anything
against it.  Locally?  Knock yourselves out, go nuts, get new people
involved, and have a great time!!

Thank you.

Pat Washburn

> I agree with you on most of that there. Why can you not have a street tire
> class along with  the usually race tire classes.  Will earth fail to have
> gravity because of it or will the sun not come up any more.  I see if the
> car were dead slow and it took for ever to run the cars, but there no
> slower the some of the stock classes on race tires.  I think if people
show
> up for the class and run it.  They should be a class.  But I guess being
> the SCCA they let a group of people set cars up for a class then kill it
> off, or do some sort of silly class reordering.  The other ting is here
> locally we have been getting tons of STS people would probably never come
> back to run if they run in some SP class.  The best thing is after a while
> some of them start coming out to CenDiv events then they try a national or
> Pro.

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailor Cabinets
Wausau, WI
www.racecabinet.com
-
Sent using WaveMail, a web-based e-mail client.
http://www.dwave.net