Re: roll cages/bars in Solo2

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: roll cages/bars in Solo2
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:25:08 -0600

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the issue folks are concerned about is that if you have a car
> > quick enough to require an NHRA - legal cage, that cage is illegal in
> > some solo classes, because NHRA requires it to be welded in. --

Ask an engineer - which is stronger - bolted or welded?

Answer:  Neither.

Why?

Well, you can design either connection to be stronger....e.g. you can design a
bolted connection to be stronger than a welded one (just make the plates &
bolts bigger until it is stronger/stiffer than a given welded bar).  Therefore
this rule does not make any sense to me - probably left over from some long
forgotten day when it might have had something to do with some particular
car????

Anyone have any enlightenment on the origin of this rule?

This is one rule (welded/bolted bars) that should go.

Reijo

Reijo Silvennoinen, CSCC Nat'l Event Rep.
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC) web site:
http://www.cscc.ab.ca
Canadian National Autoslalom Championship (CNAC) list:
http://www.onelist.com/links/solocanada
CNAC Web Site:  http://CNAC2000.erc.bc.ca/