Re: roll cages/bars in Solo2

To: "James Rogerson" <jwalter@ptra.com>, "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: roll cages/bars in Solo2
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:08:37 -0700
James Rogerson writes:

> We don't need a definitive Solo2 cage rule that follows any road race or
drag specifications.
> Here's why:
> We don't need mandatory roll over protection.

I assume you only mean stock classes, I have seen rollovers in prep/mod open
cars.  I have seen rollovers in stock/sp too, but they were low enough speed
that there was really no problem (other that a slightly crushed roof, etc.)

> We can't change seats in stock to accomplish driver's head clearance
specifications.
> There is no class reciprocation allowance to run a Solo2 compliant car in
the corresponding road race class.

Club racing, true, but Solo I does allow Solo II cars (with appropriate
safety equip).  But if you really want to race your "street"
car on a track, many parts of the country have non-SCCA organizations that
allow it with no safety requirement beyond a helmet and cotton clothing. I
compete with one of those club (in addition to Solo 1 and 2) but would
personally never do it without at least a bar (our car has a full cage and I
wear the full nomex gear). The group I do it with has both time trial
(limited passing, no "racing", like Solo 1) and racing groups.

Rick Brown
FP/GT2 240Z