Re: Speedvision onboard cameras???

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>,
Subject: Re: Speedvision onboard cameras???
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:45:21 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
To: autocross list <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, October 05, 2000 12:11 AM

>>In the Winston cup series. The sponsor( you see his sticker in every
camera
>>angle) I think pays close to $25K for an incar camera. I'm not sure what
>the
>>deal is with NHRA and IRL. $850 isn't much to pay to get your name on the
>TV
>===================================
>Almost.  In NASCAR the teams have no choice as to who does and who does not
>get a camera in their car.  That's up to NASCAR and the TV folks.  Even
>those who do not get real cameras get dummy cameras just to be fair to
those
>who are saddled with the real deal.
>
>Eric Linnhoff in KC

Not quite. As I understaznd it ... first the broadcaster wants its cameras
in a number of cars. It becomes an advertising opportunity for the car's
sponsors, so they will pay for that opportunity. -- Choose me! Chhose me! --
The others don't get dummy cameras. BUT, they are carrying dummy camera pods
on the roof or wherever so the aero effects of such pods will be the same
for all. Beyond the aero effect, the only other consideration is that a car
make weight, and if the camera is part of that weight then so be it (never
mind those lipstick cameras hardly weigh much at all!).

Actually, not sure you always see pods on everyone's car in NASCAR, but you
do in CART and F1. That little wingy thingy atop everyone's F1 rollbar is
the camera pod.

--Rocky