Re: Any Civil Engineers in the House?

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Any Civil Engineers in the House?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 19:42:56 -0500
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> 4) Any other important details that have been overlooked? Assume that
> unskilled/semi-skilled labour is available for free for really basic tasks,
> like building forms, laying and tying rebar, digging drainage ditches, etc.

The really "basic" tasks you mention make up the bulk of your costs.
Kind of like pricing a house based on how much wood is in it.  Concrete
is cheap.  Proper preperation is not.  First of all, find free labor (or
labour to you:) to do a 16 acre pour. =-o If you can, you should be in
the construction biz.  Proper drainage underlayment (gravel), and
compacted sand base, and *miles* of re-bar account for more material
costs than the concrete by far.  Call around to some construction places
to get a ballpark idea of what *installed* concrete costs.  I wish it
were that easy though!!!!

Pat