Re: Illegal tire warm ups?? According to what rules.....

To: Eric W Clements <ewc4@juno.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Illegal tire warm ups?? According to what rules.....
From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:59:42 -0500
I'm breaking a personal "rule" and responding to a Team.Net thread.  Sorry.

I find the discussion about tire warming, burn outs, grid speed, and noise
levels very interesting since I have been involved in rule-making and event
presentation for several years (since 72).

IMHO, "rules" are not the answer.  A little common sense will resolve almost
any concerns on safety or fairness.  So don't try to create a rule for every
possible situation.  Hire a Solo director that has common sense, knows how to
treat people with respect and consideration, and let her/him do the job.  Most
of the time, you can go to a competitor and ask them to change their behavior,
and they will do so without any YELLING or threats required.

5 mph isn't always safe, 10 mph isn't always dangerous, 100 db isn't always
too
loud, 90 db isn't always quiet enough, wiggling tires isn't cheating, etc.

We worry way to much about rules, and not enough about what is fair.

again, IMHO

Greg

PS  I have a 60mph first gear, and an engine that idles at 2500 rpm, and not
once in 10 years has someone told me I was doing anything unsafe.