Re: newbies

To: Alek Tziortzis <alextz@ss112.rsch.comm.mot.com>
Subject: Re: newbies
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:01:21 -0400
Alek Tziortzis wrote:
> I would think that teaching newbies to autox
> is the priority. USually new drivers have problems
> with finding the course, driving too fast/too slow,
> etc. Now you are FORCING them to drive  at 10 and 2
> (after years of driving on the street another way),
> to me that is a distraction. If they can effectively
> turn the wheel and have no problems turning it as fast
> as they need to, then why have them change that?

Point well taken.  But once they've learned the basics and we've
gotten them hooked and addicted, the next step is to make them fast.
And that's hard to do if they have bad habits that they have to
unlearn.

> show me one ounce of fact that proves that 10 and 2
> is the most effective driving position.

There actually is some science behind it.  If the seating position is
right, somewhere between 10-2 and 9-3 is the most effective
positioning of the hands in terms of muscle movements.  It's in this
range that you have the most sensitivity and control.  I wish I could
remember where I learned that, so that I could cite a reference...

Mark