No skirts in this email

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: No skirts in this email
From: "Jeff Cashmore" <cashmo@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:53:10 GMT
Solo 2 isn't broke, let's not fix it.  Instead, why don't we talk about
something worth changing, our driving.  As an instructor, I find myself
repeating the same things to students over and over.  Below are the lines I
use most often.

Cliche #1 "You paid for the whole course, use it."  ie: wider lines in AND
out of the turn allow you to keep the speed up.  Every car I've ever driven
had better brakes than acceleration, including the V8's and twin turbo's.
Many newbies drive down the middle of the course never getting close to the
apex cones, etc.  If you go all day (ie: 6 runs at a local event) and don't
hit a cone, chances are you weren't pushing it as much as you could have.

Cliche #2 "The turn before the longest straight is the most important"  ie:
don't overcook it.  If you have to wait to get on the gas you don't just
lose speed for that turn but for the next straight too.

"Go fast in the fast spots, slow in the slow spots"  Oversimplified, I know,
but too many newbies try to do the whole course at 35 mph.  They're going
too slow on the straights but too fast through the hairpins.

"Brake in a straight line"  It's more efficient and lessens the chance that
you'll flat spot the tires.  Yes, there are times when you can trail-brake
but for the most part it just get's people in trouble.  See this months NAP
article on the 'tire budget' for related info.

Anyone have any they'd like to add?

Jeff "Never driven in a dress" Cashmore