Re: Therotical tire purchase

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Therotical tire purchase
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:49:20 -0700
> OK it's my birthday and I received as a gift from a friend that works in the
> tire business a gift certificate for any four tires I want...

Mine was yesterday!

> I originally wanted to purchase the Kumho 712 due to kumho's good reputation
> in solo2 and good stories I've heard....
> Now I called Tire Rack and I was told the Kumho leaves a good bit to be
> desired over the Bridgestone Pole Position S-02
> Since my goal is to get the ultimate WET grip (I also want to use these as
> backup rain tires for solo2) and my dread
> After having my first serious hydroplaning experience a week ago.  Now I
> called discount tire direct to see if they had another suggestion
> And they told me "NITTO 450 extreme"

Probably because we don't sell it. Eliminates the competition. In my
comparison shopping they always seem to start with recommending the
cheapest, not the best. Just a different mentality. We tend to qualify the
customer and listen to what they're asking for.

> it seemed the tire rack sales person
> was much more "with it"  but is he just trying to make money
> off me???

If you concern with wet performance is not hydroplaning, the Kumho is fine
choice (not necessarily the best, but it is good). If your concern is wet
grip, the Bridgestone is the better tire. Looking at it from an all-around
performance standpoint, the Bridgestone is a better tire.

This is a bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison. Depending on the size the
Kumho's cost about 1/2 of what the Bridgestones do.

And sense Jeff is probably expecting it, here's my weekly Jeff Lloyd/Z3 slam
(I normally wait til Fridays when I wear nomex undies...)

Unlike buying a car to race in B-Stock, sometimes you get what you pay for
:-)

And Jeff, I'm not anti-BMW. I miss my 2002tii and am probably going to buy
an M-Coupe. With a Miata and a New Beetle in the garage, I'm due for
something a little less "cute". The M Coupe seems to be the perfect choice
in that regard! Of course, some people think bull dogs are cute...

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com
Ph.(888)541-1777 or (219)287-2345