Re: Need help; FJr drivers allowed to work???

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Need help; FJr drivers allowed to work???
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:56:36 -0500
GOOD question, Mark!  And one that I've been asked several times over
the past couple of years.

This is an issue that we're trying to address from the Solo Safety
Committee's standpoint.

The rulebook is nebulous, at best, when it comes to defining this
question.  The only reference to age is contained in Section 2.1.N at
the top of page 51 when it says:  "Children under twelve (12) years of
age and pets shall be prohibited in the staging, grid, start/finish
and course areas.  Drivers from eight (8) to twelve (12) years of age
who are participating in an approved Junior Driver program under the
requirements of Appendix I are exempt from this prohibition during
their run group."

If you take a very literal interpretation of that rule, it says that
course workers can be 8-years-old and above. We, on the other hand,
feel that course workers should be at least 16 years of age.  And
we're working on a wording change to affect that.

Our reasoning is that a 16-year-old should, at least, have a driver's
license or a learner's permit.  With that in hand, he or she should at
least have some knowledge of what really goes on when you're out on
the highway.  PLUS, a 16-year-old SHOULD have a little bit better
attention span than a 12-year-old or, God forbid, an 8-year-old!!!

I don't know what's going to come from our final rewrite effort on
this rule but I certainly HOPE that it will restrict course workers to
16+.  We, the members of the Solo Safety Committee, would certainly
appreciate your (collective) input on this issue!! 8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman