Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]
From: sgt2@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:12:31 -0400
John Gross wrote (and a few others replied with their flame-throwers on,
some privately):

>Steve had some points near the end of his post that limitless growth may
not
>be the best goal for SCCA but there is one idea that he missed badly.  If
>all of the top drivers in the country spend 100% of their autocrossing
time
>smacking each other around at National events, they get better.  Cool.  If
>the novices or not-so-great drivers, however, never get a chance to run
with
>the big guys (remember, the best drivers are playing at NT's and such)
then
>the new guys or slower guys will never have the chance to learn from the
>fast guys.  I've been autocrossing for 2 years now, and am getting ....

Yes, I certainly did not touch on that idea in my original post.  I thought
it's quite evident that the majority of "fast guys" do give a lot back to
the sport especially on the local level. At least in the Detroit area,
the people that travel to the Tours, Pros and Divisional series events
are, among others, the same ones that are organizing, running, and helping
at the regional events. It also seemed true of other national competitors.

Since some others have incorrectly assumed I have this huge ego and
anti-novice
attitude, let's examine the facts a little closer.  For starters, in my
original post I said I was *for* expanding SoloII at the regional level, as
well as providing a venue for top-notch competition.  My wife and I are
active
in the Detroit Region on our off-weekends. We were equipment chiefs last
year
at the Oscoda CenDiv event and this year we are the 'food chiefs' for the
Sat. cookout.  This year, Karen is chairing a Region event and I am her
novice chief. I am also helping on event site acquisitions. We both
helped-out and were instructors at the Detroit novice school. When we
attend local events, we spend a lot of time helping others, especially
novices, and I am always willing to assist anyone with car set-up, driving
tips, etc.  We offered Steve Bernard our car in Ayer when it looked like
he was not going to get his broken wheel stud fixed.

Supporting the grassroots side of SoloII and developing a
highly-competitive
venue for the fastest, most dedicated competitors does not have to be
mutually exclusive.  Everyone can play golf, but not everyone that wants to
is allowed to play against Tiger Woods in the U.S. Open.  Or let's talk
amateur sports. I'd like to compete in 100 yard dash at the Olympics. (You
can stop laughing now :').

To those that will remain nameless, thanks for the personal attacks. (Not
you John, your reply kept to the issues.) I can see that my opinion should
not count (at least in some people's little worlds).

Steve Telehowski
75 BS '99 Miata