Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing [long]
From: sgt2@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:06:07 -0400
I am certainly not on the top 50 poster list, but this issue is a rather
important one.  So I thought I'd toss my opinion into the discussion.
It's good to see that a few people like John Eagan actually get "it"
regarding Matthew Braun's comments on participation levels.

The growing number of entries and the waiting list at the Tours and
Pros is getting ridiculous. These events should be for top-level
competition first and foremost.  Novices have plenty of other
opportunities to experience the sport and develop their skills. I'm
not implying that novices should be blatantly barred, but when
their participation limits the participation of top-level competitors
like Matthew, who is it really hurting? How about the other top-level
entrants that are expecting to test themselves against many
of the best drivers in the country.

I travel long distances to "big events" in lieu of the local events
because I want the competition of the very best in B Stock.  If
crushing novices or simply driving fast was my priority, I could
save a bunch of money, stay home and run every weekend in the
Detroit area. But, to beat or to be beat by Aro, Hahn, Raymond,
Disimo, etc., I spend considerable amounts of time and money
to travel.  If the top-level drivers are denied entry to the Tours and
Pros, what's my motivation to go?  A glorified local event is not
worth it.  Spending 14 hours at the event site to squeeze in the
400th competitor is another major problem not to mention a
larger burden on the organizers.

Other forms of motorsports are not options, for me at least. SoloII
is the only motorsport in which I can participate for budgetary
reasons (actually, the boss says I can't kart, roadrace or SoloI for
marriage and safety reasons too;'). Besides, autocross is the most
driver intensive form of racing which, to me, is its main attraction.
If there is no 'upper level' in SoloII in which I can evaluate my
driving skills, it won't continue to hold my interest.

Sending the entry forms in earlier is not a long-term solution or even
a good short-term solution.  How early is early enough? What
prevents novices from sending their entries earlier and continuing to
dilute the competition and/or create overly large events?  As others
have pointed out, we are not pros and most people have day jobs to
support their race budget (or should I say habit).  With other
commitments, such as work, limited vacation, and family, it can be
difficult to commit to an event many months in advance.  Are these
events supposed to be driving competitions or entry form sending
competitions anyway?

Simply having more "big events" is not a good answer either.  Again,
the top-level competition will be further diluted, and they will just
evolve into glorified local events.

Dual courses are a good solution, if the site can handle it. Ayer
worked very well ? a very large turn-out, the courses were good,
and the days were not long at all. But with the difficulties in finding
good sites as it is now, add in the need for much more space for
larger paddocks and two courses. That further limits the site
availability and the feasibility of this option.

I don't have any definite solutions to address the problem (some
ideas, yes). Maybe it's a national ranking system, a lottery for
first-timers, or some kind of tiered, priority entry system. Whatever
the answer is, it won't necessarily be an easy, popular or even
permanent solution, but it definitely needs to be addressed soon.

What I've seen so far on Team.net is a lot of mis-understanding as
to what the issues are and what the priorities of the club should be.
(But maybe I should have expected that :')  Expand participation
or provide top quality to the current participants. (I vote: regionally
for the former and divisionally/nationally for the latter).  I too give
Dennis Grant a lot of credit for setting/expressing and acting on
some far-reaching goals to improve himself and the sport. The club
needs more of that as long as it is guided by what is in the best
interests of the current members. Growth at all costs may not be
the best goal.

Have a good day and see you in Peru (I got in).  I'm going back to
lurking now.

Steve Telehowski
75 BS '99 Miata