Re: Shotz's WS-6 Prep Level (was RE: Uh oh, M3s in ESP)

To: "Team Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shotz's WS-6 Prep Level (was RE: Uh oh, M3s in ESP)
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:51:43 -0400
> Main reason for "unfair" are:  premature since it's based on too few
events and drivers.

You mean like it's move out of CSP and into ESP...... At that time, there
was only one CSP M3. and it wasn't as fast then as it is now..... SO, it was
based on one car, one driver, and the car wasn't done yet.....

At least now, we have more than one M3 to compare to, and at least we, are
considering where they would go. I still think it has similar power
delivery, nimbleness, and size as a Datsun 240Z. The only difference is the
rear seat, but the 280Z had those too. That's a helluva lot more in common
than anything in ESP

> Also seems to be pretty ESP-centric. Look at it from SEB's perspective,
you can't just
> take it out of ESP, you have to put it somewhere else.

It doesn't look like anyone considered where it was going when it was
removed from CSP..... At that time, you could say they were very
CSP-centric..... Or, rather M3-centric.

> And doesn't even consider the
> problem of the 328i/325i, which could probably be made to be about as fast
as an M3 since
> they share most major components.

Since the M3 and the 328/325 are on different lines in the rulebook, they
can't share the important parts. That would be like being able to put the
IRS from the '99 Cobra in a '77 Mustang II, which is a LOT lighter. That's
not legal either.....

> There are a bunch of drivers who do well with their cars.  And beat the
field
> by some margin. Most of the time it's best to celebrate and congratulate
and emulate
> these folks.  Daddio is an obvious case where we know right away that a
good driver
> makes a bigger difference than a few little changes.  This campaign of
yours seems to
> target one (or two) M3 drivers.

How many does one have to get creamed by before someone realizes it's the
car?

Obviously, it only takes one for the SCCA, that's how it got in ESP in the
first place...

Mike