Re: M3's in ESP... The mental factor

To: "Team Autocross List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: M3's in ESP... The mental factor
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:21 -0400
> Why is it that if you are not 100% specific in Team.Net posts you get
> guys like this trying to make you look dumb...  not unlike high-school
> bullies, making themselves look better by making others look bad.  or
> maybe it's just humor, in which case bravo.

Ummm, yeah. Funny.... You know.. not serious.. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot
which list this was......

> I know my Corrado can't beat an RX7tt.

That's good.

> I was merely trying to bring
> light to an often forgotten factor in our game.  Obviously I meant
> *within* the current class structure...  How about 'Most cars in most
> classes could win with the preparation and driving of a top
> autocrosser.'  There... is that sufficiently vauge enough for you?

Sure, but most doesn't cover all. And we're only talking about one model of
car.

> There are certianly cars that don't have a shot.  Integra GSR and
> Rogers older Corvette come to mind, but what I'm saying is that the Bob
> Tunnell's of the world can hop in almost anything and go fast.
> Remember ES and a certain Jetta, DS and the 318?

And Ames can't? He seems to be the only one who can get the job done in a
Mustang - until the M3s anyway...

Besides, this isn't about Bob. remember, M3s finished 1,2 at the first 2 Pro
Solos. The second one had nothing to do with Bob. Yes, Bob is fast in just
about anything. The car is too fast, too easily, for ESP.

> This all reminds me of SCCA World Challenge...  The BMW's were always
> complaining about not being able to keep up with the Acura's.  They
> kept getting allowances to make them faster.  Peter Cunningham, owner
> of an Acura team got sick of it and decided to build a Bimmer to show
> everyone how fast it could be if prepped to the maximum and driven by a
> true champion.  Cocky move, but you gotta respect it.  Well he went out
> and took the pole, and let his teammate by near the end, but could have
> won handily.  Sounds just like Solo classing debates...  Prove that the
> car is prepped *and* driven well before giving allowances or making
> class changes.

Yup, I just wish they'd have done that before putting it there in the first
place.......

Mike