Re: F125 - It's not just about safety

To: msirota@isc.upenn.edu, daveds50@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: F125 - It's not just about safety
From: "Don Kline" <solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 21:51:56 PDT
It has rained, my head got wet and my mind is a little rusty.  I agree that
the karts was (and is???) an experiment.  It seems to me that the reason for
karts was to get younger people to be able to run and *maybe* get some
crossover from the karters at the same time.

Radical Idea Follows.............

Keep the Formula Junior but...set up size/ability requirements, and let
(dare I say) 14 year olds drive.  They would have to have an adult in the
passenger seat as a safety measure.  I can't imagine there being much chance
of a teenager driving their parents car at an autocross and the teen -not-
doing what the adult said.  If we are trying to make better drivers and
bring more people in let the kids drive.

The events are closed to the public, the insurance covers liability, the
site is usually not public use (during the event).  While this may reduce
the number of people we have running karts, it would increase the number of
people we'd have in regular cars.  We'd get kids that would be involved
more, and may keep that involvement after getting their license.  Once their
friends find out we could end up being the "drivers ed" of the future.  The
accident avoidance skills alone should make us want to share the roads with
young people that understand vehicle dynamics.  It seems to me that if the
rules can be changed to allow our younger members and potential members to
run karts a wording could be found and the insurance company could be
persuaded to allow this on a trial basis.  Some of us have limited budgets
and buying a kart for a teenager to use is prohibitive, but letting the teen
drive the regular car would be acceptable.

Just a thought

in HIS grace,
Don
----Original Message Follows----
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>

To summarize, I'm against karts because there's no good reason for them
to be in Solo II.  The experiment has failed.  I'm willing to stick
with Formula Junior, so long as we keep a careful eye on it.