Re: F125 - PLEASE DONT GO AWAY! I'M IN!

To: "David Hironaka" <daveds50@worldnet.att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: F125 - PLEASE DONT GO AWAY! I'M IN!
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 14:43:22 -0500
From: David Hironaka <daveds50@worldnet.att.net>

>>You can also read online on the web why champ-kart proponents want cages
>and
>>belts in karts.
>
>  yup, seen it...  it's just to promote their beliefs.

Well, yeah.  That's pretty obvious.

>>The champ-kart crowd clearly disagrees with this.  So it's not just
>>autocrossers that have these beliefs.
>
>  not all autocrossers hold the same beliefs as you.

I never tried to represent that they did.  By the same token, not all
karters hold the same beliefs as you.

>> There is a growing number of kart
>>racers who are getting tired of being "thrown clear".
>
>  read the numbers for the champ karts...  they are _very_
>small in the world of karting...  if they grow for the next  few
>hundred years, they may get to 1/100th of the worlds karting
>population.

I suspect that this prediction will prove to be inaccurate, but neither of
us will be around to settle the bet.

What percentage do think cage karts have in the USA now?

>keep in mind that kart racing in USA is very
>small when compared to other countries...

And autocrossing in our style is not done in most countries.  These are both
pretty irrelevant points.  This forum is based on USA-style autocrossing.

>  im familliar with the champ karts... i also know that not all the
>info is given about their crashes on the web site...

Where is all this information they are hiding?

>  keep in mind that the champ karts run on dirt.  they do have a
>higher center of gravity... just think what they would do on a high
>traction surface...

So maybe I should stick to the generic term "cage kart".  Whether or not
they are "Champ Karts (tm)", there are cage karts running in a race series
every Sunday at a commercial track north of Minneapolis.  You must register,
qualify for a license, and bring your own helmet.  The karts are identical
and equipped with cages and harnesses.  They are quite fast.  The course is
asphalt.  A local autocrosser and IT racer, Dale Hoover, used to run this
series a lot.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/