Re: F125 - PLEASE DONT GO AWAY! I'M IN!

To: "Phil Vanner" <philv@pclink.com>, "'Phil Ethier'" <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: F125 - PLEASE DONT GO AWAY! I'M IN!
From: "David Hironaka" <daveds50@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 04:56:30 -0700
>I don't say this because I'm anti-kart, I say it because it happened.

  well, im sorry that this happend to you, and also, that it gave
Phil the idea that karts are the dangerous things that he seems
to think they are.

Was it
>driver error? Sure it was,

  one thing the Quicksilver programs did that was good, is that
it gave a lot of people a chance to find out what the karts were
like to drive.
  the bad thing about the program, is people could go out with
no prior experience, and run a kart that was not specifically
set up for them.  personally, if it didd'nt meet my setup
specs, i would refuse to drive it.  track width is what i'd look
at first... but for a first timer,  i doubt they would know what
to look for.
  but since the arrive and drive program went away, people
who are running F125, either own their own kart, or are a steady
co driver.
  an advantage of owning your own kart, is that you learn kart
setup, and become famillar with driving the kart...  all of us
currently in F125 do practice...  every weekend for me, at the
local kart tracks.  for $15, i can spend 5 hours driving the kart.
and if it's race weekend, i get about 50 minutes worth of wheel
to wheel seat time.  ( not all of us F125's race, some of us just
go practice )
  so what you are seeing when we show up now, is not a first
time driver... many of us have more seat time in karts  than a
lot of the drivers driving the trailered auto-x only cars...
  i personally, have hundreds of hours in karts... yes, many more
hours than i have in my CSP CRX that i've been auto-xing for
many years.  it's just that i have the chance to drive it more,
so i do.
  what im getting at, is it's far less likely that any of us will do
anything to get us into trouble... we all know what we are driving
pretty well, and we know how to set them up for performance, and
also for safety.

but karts CAN flip from hitting cones and injuries
>can result.

  yes, you are proof of that.  basically the only one i know of.
but what i'd really like to know, is how the kart was set up...
i'd really like to know if the chassis was adjusted for your
body weight,  track width adjusted for your roll center, ect.
  i doubt that the arrive and drive people went through too
much trouble to make the kart right for you...
  plus, max width of a clutch kart, is 50 inches. im hoping
that they had the thing set up for max width, if they were going
to let multiple people drive it.
  anyway, the likelyhood of a properly set up kart rolling over
in auto-x, is quite low, and you seemed to beat the odds...
  we have a maximum width of the kart at 55 inches. thats
basically the rear wheels at the widest point...  that was
adopted from the IKF / WKA rules.  what i dont understand,
is why dont we have a minimum track width.  say, at 50 inches.
  many people in sprint racing go too narrow in order to tune the
kart to the surface, and end up on two wheels... if we had a
min track that would reduce the posibility of roll in case
someone got the bad idea that 40 inches may work for them.
  anyway, thats enough for me, i know im not going to convince
anyone who has a mindset against us, it is a waste of time.
   see ya,
   dave