Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?

To: jenaro@mciworld.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:12:14 EST
In a message dated 12/8/99 6:46:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jenaro@mciworld.com writes:

<< Ok, I think it's time to start a new thread with an Autocross theme ; >
 ). I've been pondering this for a while now. Let's assume a novice
 autocrosser. Would he be better starting off with a Stock Car as opposed
 to a Street Prepared? I'm not talking in terms of cost here. Only in
 terms of Driving Skill development. >>

I think most drivers would be best off starting in a Stock vehicle.  The
limitations of Stock cars make you realize when you've made a mistake more
than SP, Prepared or Mod cars.  Further, a low powered Stock car makes you
pay for the mistake for a longer time, further driving the point home.

A car with lots of power (usually Rear Wheel Drive) allows you to think
you're going fast when you're not, and allow you to alter your poor driving
line with the rear wheels coming around under power.  A slow plowing pig of a
car makes you do things right or suffer. I'm not advocating them as autocross
cars, but they will force you to learn.  On the other hand, such a car might
really discourage you from continuing in the sport...

A car with fewer available adjustments allows you to concentrate on your
driving, too.

<<  And to take it one step further
 would a Stock Class Driver be theoretically better than a (Street
 Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.) Driver? Assuming it should be tougher to
 drive a Stock Class car as opposed to a Modified Car. I've heard people
 talking at events and have heard comments such as "I'd like to see what
 he could do in a Competitive Stock Car" when referring to somebody
 driving a Street Prepared Car. Again when I say modified car I basically
 refer to anything not legal in a stock class (SCCA) and that is set up
 correctly. What do you guys think?  >>

There are very good drivers at all levels.  I've heard a lot of drivers of
cars on racing slicks say how difficult it is to drive Stockers.  I went from
an RX3 D/SP car on BFG Comp T/A 206's (I think that was the tire in '91...)
to a Prepared Civic on Hoosier slicks once, and spent an entire Pro-Solo
trying to get used to the slower response, but greater grip at the limit.
Very fun, but waaaaaaay different!  Going to a faster car sometimes makes
that "Oh my God, if I go any faster I'm going to crash and burn!" alarm go
off and keeps people from going as fast as the car will go.

When you know you are going to stay in the sport for a while, pick a stable
class that will keep you entertained for a while.  Depending on your
technical level, that might be anything from a Stock class (C and F/Stock
come to mind as fairly stable) to something like C/Modified.  I picked
C/Prepared because those people know how to really have fun, and I think I do
my best in front engine/rear drive cars (Miatae being an exception to that
rule...)

Charlie Davis