Re: $1500 challenge

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>, Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: $1500 challenge
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:18:57 -0800 (PST)
Don't forget too that if you take any parts from the
car and sell them, that money can go into the car as
well, and not really count toward your $1500 limit.

So that means, I can buy my car for less than 1500,
then strip it and sell all the unwanted parts for ...
say...2500 (just for the sake of argument, humor
me...) and put ALL that cash back into the project.

Buy a $1,000 car, sell parts for $2500, and you have a
$3500 "$1500 challenge car".  It's a beautiful plan.
Also, the claim rule was implemented mainly for the
GRM staff, but they urged the other participants to
abide by it for the sake of good sportsmanship.

I think the rules said that the "un-billable" man
hours spent on the car were only for stuff that the
"average grassroots enthusiast" was able to perform.
Now that statement was open for a LOT of
interpretation. ;-) (Just look at the cars that showed
up!)

That's not saying that I could have come up with
better rules, but they really should have spent a
little more time looking at the loopholes.

-- Buddy Ahlers
"Professional armchair QB"

<SNIP>