Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout

To: jamies@mrj.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout
From: "Chris Walton" <carguychris@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 06:11:02 PST
>Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 01:42:09 -0500
>From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
>Subject: Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout

<snip>
>>That does not matter.  There is nothing to prevent a sidewinder
>crossflow
>>setup with the intake on the front and the exhaust on the rear.  >>The
>>differential can be on the front side of the setup, moving the >engine
>aft. <snip>

>Mechanically, it's possible to put the exhaust manifold on the >"rear,"
>but
>in most of the FWD cars I've had, you'd significantly raise the
>temperature
>under the hood -- or push the engine even further forward to provide
>more
>cooling space around the header.  <snip>

FWIW, this is exactly how the Y2K Celica is built - the intake is in the
front and the exhaust goes out the back. Supposedly, Toyota did this to
improve the weight distribution by pushing the engine further back in the
car. BTW the GT-S also has a stock tubular header that is straighter than
anything I've ever seen on a FWD car 8-)

About the engine being further forward in the chassis than "most FWD cars"-
take a look at the pictures in Sport Compact Car a couple of months ago
showing the underside of the car. The engine is actually fairly far back,
and the weight distribution of the car is better than most other FWD cars in
its class (it's very close to 60/40). I think that the comment about the
engine being "too far forward" is an illusion created because the engine has
a big plastic cover on it that makes the it look larger than it actually is
8-) Most of what you see when you pop the hood on a Celica is the intake.

BTW, about my original post, I still think that the car will be competitive,
but will probably not dominate. I've also reached the conclusion that I need
to go drive a Type R 8-)

Chris Walton
1987 Toyota Camry
1999 Mazda Protege ES