Re: Eclipse wheels and CSP

To: Marc <indyspat@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Eclipse wheels and CSP
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:49:52 -0700
Marc Johnson wrote:

> I have a 95 eclipse GS non turbo.  I am supposed to be in E stock.  But
> I have 17" after market rims that put me in CSP.  My question is, a GSX
> can be had with 17" rims and the same width tire.  a 215.  These are
> different trim levels, and different classes within SCCA.  Do they
> correlate?  I am tired of getting my ass kicked in CSP when the only mod
> I have is the rims...yet :-).  Oh, I am in Novice so I run against an
> index.  A friend of mine went to an event sunday and I beat his time by
> 3 1/2s, but do to his classification in ES and mine in CSP he beat me.
> BOOO CSP.

Don't boo CSP, it's a great class.

Here's what you -can- do. You have a few choices:

A] Buy a set of cheap steel wheels the right "stock" size.

B] Ignore the indexed times and just concentrate on bettering your
driving ability. Base your progress on the time differences between
yourself and some of the local hot-shoe drivers.

C] Ask the event chair if it's ok to run in Stock considering you're a
novice. Alot of regions will do this for a new driver that has non-stock
size wheels on their car. Tire sizes are irrelevant for legality, and a
215 is tiny compared to what some people managed to shoehorn onto stock
DSM rims.

I think your best bet is to see if you can be allowed to run in stock.
Ask your competitors too, it is after all an allowance that will either
benefit you or not, but they have a say in the matter too.

If you were at a national level event, this would be different, rules
are rules. But in a local event, especially in a novice category, I
think allowances can be made. But it's all up to your region. They can
do basically whatever they feel appropriate in this matter.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/