Re: Making Pro more Pro...

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Making Pro more Pro...
From: Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:59:28 +0000
Joshua Hadler wrote:

> Michael King wrote:
> >
> >    Actually what I was thinking was having it controlled by the
> starter
> > just like they control the tree now, but just have all three yellow
> > lights come on at the same time then the green light.
>
>         I can't see how that would be considered a "good" thing. The
> cars that
> race in the Pro classes for the 1/4 mile are dedicated drag cars,
> often
> with purpose built trannies and line-lock brakes. This is not
> something
> that you're going to see on a Stock Class Neon/Miata/MR2/RX-7 anytime.
>
> Nor is it something that's even allowable in our rules. Also, while ET
>
> and launch do play an important role, they are still not the major
> goal
> of Pro Solo.
>
> > Then, there
> > wouldn't be any problem with cars or workers on course.
>
>         Why? Are you saying we would then need to increase the overlap
> time?
> Make the event longer? Is that what you want? In a Pro drag race, how
> many competitors to you feed through in an hour? Now look at how many
> we
> feed through in a Pro Solo.
>
> > The only thing
> > I'd like to see changed is how the lights come down the tree,
> nothing
> > else like how cars stage or anything. It would put a little more
> variety
> > in the Pro thing, I think.
>
>         Well I guess. But I personally don't see how that makes for
> much
> variety. Maybe strobe the yellows more quickly, but having them all
> flash and go green is asking alot from the cars that are not built to
> launch like that.
>
>         Perhaps that staging rule from NHRA though. The second car
> that trips
> the stage lights starts the tree timer. The 25 second shot clock still
>
> needs to be maintained to help the event stay on time.
>
> -Josh2

Huh? Go back and reread my last post. I did not call for longer overlaps
or anything else like that. I was just talking about how the lights come
down on the tree. That's all, nothing else. Things would even run faster
if you really look at it, but only a second or two faster per start.
Drag strips run the Pro tree even on "street drag" nights. It doesn't
take a special kind of car, or brakes. You stage the same way as what
you are doing now, just the lights come down differently. As far as the
lights coming down at a different speed, did anyone notice that the
lights were coming down sometimes slow and sometimes fast. Not sure if
the lights need to be checked out, but according to quite a few of us,
the lights were erratic in their timing.

-Mike