Re: Fwd: A Sports Story Worth Reporting

To: DUELRACER@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: A Sports Story Worth Reporting
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 07:33:03 -0500
DUELRACER@aol.com wrote:

> --part1_a422655d.246bc3f3_boundary
>
> I thought you guys might like this, it was sent to Channel 4 by Ken and
> Chelsea Snyder.
>
> Paul

Frankly, if I was a reporter and received this, it would be instantly
circular filed.  There would be no chance of coverage then.

We need to be tactful and always remain positive in our approach to the
media.  This note seethed with contempt for the reporters, but then
asked "why don't you come out to cover us?".  They don't "owe" us
anything.  They would just as soon do a fluff assignment at the kids
softball game.  Make it easy and fun for them, find a car guy reporter
and invite them to co-drive a car for free, attach an event to a special
cause or make it a memorial somethingorother event, whatever.  Make the
investment in your personal time to make regular and freindly contact
with them.  Sooner or later, they will hit a slow day and think, "hey,
what about that nice guy/gal who keeps telling about some local
racing...."  Sorry, but I feel that the message you forwarded (but
didn't write) gives a bad impression and mis-represents the autocross
community in general.
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese