Re: Fieros -- love 'em or not

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Fieros -- love 'em or not
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:34:47 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>

>Jamie Sculerati wrote about the "New Fiero"

>> That's it -- add weight and put a wheezy GM 4-banger in it.  Just so long
as
>> they don't claim kinship with anything Lotus -- Colin Chapman will hit
>> redline in his grave.
>>
>Sounds like jealousy to me.
>
>Just for info, the '88 chassis on the Fiero was designed by Lotus - - - -

I'll admit, the two Fieros I've driven were '84 and '86 models.  And
although Lotus designed the '88 chassis, IMO the *car* was still overwieght,
which is a mortal sin for sports cars, especially Loti (right Phil, Karen?)

>Try driving a bone stock (except for a bone stock Quad 4 HO engine)
>four cylinder street daily driven Fiero. You just might turn your bent up
>nose the other way.

Well, which is it?  Stock or not?  I'm sure a modified car could be lots of
fun.

>It sounds to me that the new Fiero is somewhat like what I have just
>described, except 10 years more modern. Fiero was to be built in '89
>with the Quad 4 (that is why they were racing them in GTU, etc) and
>actually put a few prototypes on the street before GM killed its young,
>as usual.

I dunno...I was begining to be impressed with the later Fieros, then GM
killed them off.  I was pretty impressed with the Olds Alero showcar, then
GM killed off all the fun things about it when they put it into production.
The F-body cars are under continual threat of extinction.  I keep hoping for
great things, but this just doesn't give you a warm fuzzy, does it?

No matter -- I can't afford a new (or even a different) car for the next
several years.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (mine until at least 2003)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www,mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr