Rt. sixty sucks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Rt. sixty sucks
From: allen t skillicorn <loudes13@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 20:06:32 EDT
I was at the event.  The course was too fast by SCCA sII rules.  What
really contributed to the problems, wasn't the speed, but the site.  My
DS '88 CRX was in third most of the course.  As I drove home checked how
fast I was going, about 75 mph at 5500 rpm in third, and this is a slow
car!  As I walked the course I cried about how this course would kill me
in the index championship.  The ironic part was that I already thought
the site was bad/slightly dangerous.  I personaly felt comfortable
driving it ( I've done enough ax to know my limits ). I only ran this
event becuase it was a points event, and I needed to break out of the
slump I'm in now before the big events come up.  This event had some
great drivers to push me.  Not running wasn't an option, I already knew
the site sucked.  As Jim Harm mentioned it is a huge parking lot with
access roads that double as a road course.  The problem is that ax is a
very low priority to rt 666.  All the parking lot is used by the
red-necks, um I mean drag-non-racers.  that leaves us the access/road
course roads. The SII rulebook addresses these types of places and puts a
higher standard on them"SII events planned for commercial race
facilities,... must have pior approval from the divisional safety
steward.  If in doubt..." - section 2.6 of the '96(sorry) SII rulebook.
I may be wrong but this site w/o the parking lot is not suited for ax.  I
don't think it coincides with the spirit of Nat SII course design rules
as stated in the rulebook, it could be approved by the letter, but...
This is strictly my opinion.

About the "why didn't we stop the insanity" stuff.  Chicago region is a
very political organization.  I know I would have received a deaf ear.
Just ask Jim Harm, about me whining the event should have been cancelled
after the kamaro rolled.  I really feel that the plug should of been
pulled, and yes I should have been more of man, stood up, and said
something.  The stewards knew the course was too, fast, the site had
limitation, and something had already happened.  I like fast courses, I
like risky stuff, but when you play you pay, and in this sue happy world,
this type of negligence leaves many a door wide open.  This will benefit
us in chicago in the long run, lessons have been learned.  Newbies will
be scared away for a while, but new newbies will replace them -
eventually.  I'm sure safety stewards will realize that reports aren't
fun, and things will be reformed.  My only fear ( other than the flaming
kind ) is that the next couple events will be first gear, let stay 400'
from anything. skidpads.  i honestly feel sorry for the course designers,
both design rookies.  I remeber my first design, and the 13 hours of
people complaining about how bad it sucked.  No one person is at blaim,
I'm glad Rolf wasn't hurt.

No more rt66?

Allen