Re: Rt. sixty sucks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rt. sixty sucks
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:42:24 -0500 (CDT)
As I was also at this event, I think Allen pretty much nailed it on all
counts:

> Just ask Jim Harm, about me whining the event should have been cancelled
> after the kamaro rolled.  I really feel that the plug should of been
> pulled, and yes I should have been more of man, stood up, and said
> something.

I feel the same way, and wish I had said something even before Rolf's
mishap. I've had serious reservations about using this part of the site
since last year, and I had a bad feeling about this particular course as I
was walking it Sunday morning. I wish now I had stepped up and suggested
some changes, rather than just complaining to my friends that it was too
fast. I won't make that mistake again.

I should add, however, that the spot where Rolf spun was _not_ a spot I
(or probably anybody else) expected there to be a problem. Had I been
given free reign to make changes to the course, I probably wouldn't have
even thought of changing that section.

Did I take my runs anyway? Yep, and that was after Rolf's crash. I
thought about bailing, but really didn't want to concede the points or go
home without running at all. My compromise was to simply back off big time
during the really fast bits. Had there been a 4th heat, I wouldn't have
bothered to take the extra runs.

My recommendation will be that we not use this portion of the site again,
period. I just don't think it is possible to design a course for this
layout that is fun and sufficiently safe at the same time. If nothing
else, the risk to corner workers is too great--not enough pavement between
them and a potentially spinning car.

As Allen pointed out, the lessons learned will hopefully help us in the
long run.

Tom Maycock